SURVEY OF MISSISSIPPI SEAFOOD RESTAURANT SECTOR
This survey is conducted by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, Seafood Technology Bureau and the Mississippi State University Coastal Research and Extension Center.
The seafood restaurant sector is represented by the “Food Services and Drinking Places” IMPLAN sector 413. The “Food and Drinking Places” sector corresponds to economic sector number 722 in the North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS). The NAICS definition of this industry is that establishments within this subsector prepare meals, snacks, and beverages to customer order for immediate on-premises and off-premises consumption. The industry groups are full-service restaurants; limited-service eating places; special food services, such as food service contractors, caterers, and mobile food services; and drinking places.
Starting May 15, 2011, mail surveys were sent to 1,500 randomly selected restaurant establishments licensed in the state of Mississippi to collect the following information:
1. Total annual seafood purchases ($)
2. Percent of purchases from Mississippi (%)
3. Percent distribution of seafood transactions (%)
4. Major finfish species handled
5. Major shellfish species handled
6. Sources of major species handled
7. Number of hired workers employed
8. Total annual gross sales ($)
9. Percent of total annual gross sales consisting of seafood products (%)