Benedict C. Posadas, Ph.D. Associate Extension and Research Professor of Economics Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Program, Coastal Research & Extension Center, Mississippi State University 1815 Popps Ferry Road, Biloxi, MS, USA 39532 Telephone: 228-546-1024; Email:
- Investigate sustainable practices in ornamental crop production and landscape systems
- Evaluate economic contributions of the environmental horticulture industry
- Investigate labor management practices and mechanization in the nursery and greenhouse industry.
- Develop a methodology for assessing the socioeconomic impacts of aquatic animal diseases.
- Pilot-test the assessment methodology in aquatic animal outbreaks in any major producing state, region, country or continent.
SEAFOOD, AQUACULTURE AND HORTICULTURE EMPLOYMENT AND WAGES
- Monitor quarterly and annual trends in employment and wages in the aquaculture and horticulture industries in the U.S. and major producing states.
- Conduct wage and employment surveys of seafood processing plants located in Mississippi and Alabama to determine employment and compensation of workers.
- Monitor monthly trends in ex-vessel and wholesale prices of Gulf of Mexico shrimp products.
- Monitor monthly trends in wholesale prices of aquaculture products in U.S. markets.
- This multi-university collaborative project will develop economic models for commercial marine finfish and shellfish culture systems appropriate in the Gulf of Mexico region.
- Compile estimates of annual U.S. aquaculture production based on data released by NOAA Fisheries Service.
- In order to understand the magnitude of the economic impacts of disasters on the different economic sectors affected, multi-year baseline economic information about each sector in all five Gulf states are currently being compiled from various secondary sources.
- Economic recovery models are being developed using survey data, databases on licenses, and landings data on all five Gulf states
- The economics outreach program provides specific clientele groups with basic and advanced analysis of economic issues in coastal areas, state, Gulf and beyond.
- Restoring Mississippi Oyster Industry - This Project supports the long-term goals of the Governor's Oyster Restoration and Resiliency Council.
- Develop, monitor and report online registrations at the Mississippi Coastal Clean online registration at Survey Monkey.
- Promote your food business by creating a business profile and updating it regularly as additional information about your business becomes available. MSU-Extension Service provides MarketMaker to your business at no cost.
- The MarketMaker training workshop is available upon request by a group of 6-12 food producers, extension agents, state regulatory agency personnel, and school teachers. Each workshop will best fit the needs of the participants. Email Dr. Ben Posadas for details at email@example.com.
- I truly appreciate your participation in this online valuation survey of my research and extension program.