This survey is conducted by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources and the Mississippi State University Coastal Research and Extension Center.
The seafood wholesaling sector corresponds to the “fish and seafood merchant wholesalers” sector in the North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS, 2011). The fish and seafood merchant wholesalers industry comprises or establishments primarily engaged in the merchant wholesale distribution of fish and seafood (except canned or packaged frozen).
The seafood retailing sector corresponds to the “fish and seafood markets” sector in the North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS, 2011). This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing fresh, frozen, or cured fish and seafood products.
Mail surveys will be sent to all the seafood wholesaling and retailing establishments licensed in the state of Mississippi to collect the following information:
- Percent of business was wholesaling (%)
- Percent of business was retailing (%)
- Total annual seafood purchases ($)
- Percent of total seafood purchases from Mississippi businesses(%)
- Percent distribution of seafood purchases by major species (%)
- Percent of species-specific purchases from Mississippi businesses (%)
- Number of hired workers employed
- Total annual gross sales of all products and services ($)
- Percent of total annual gross sales consisting of seafood products (%)
- Percent distribution of seafood sales by major species (%)
The results of the survey will be used to breakdown the total annual gross sales and employment generated by these economic sectors into major seafood species, namely: shrimp, oysters, crab, finfish and others.